Sunday, August 16, 2009

THE SPIRIT OF HIP HOP: TORN BETWEEN CULTURES

















Spirit: An inspiration that influences behavior. Animation, motivation, and breath.
Hip Hop: A cultural movement that developed in New York City in the early 1970s primarily among Black Americans and Latino Americans.

Every culture has certain characteristics which causes it to be distinctive from other cultures. Some distinctive elements/customs included in Hip Hop are dancing, graffiti, slang, fashion, beliefs, MCing(rapping), and DJing (mixing beats/lyrics). There are certain customs of some cultures that are in opposition to the customs of other cultures. For example.....The culture of the Ku Klux Klan and the culture of the Black Panthers are in direct opposition to each other because of the nature (substance) of what they both believe. If the Ku Klux Klan were to begin to take upon themselves some of the cultural customs/traits of the Black Panthers then the very nature of who they are would begin to be compromised because of the opposing views of each culture. One dent can diminish the value of a car. One drop of blood can ruin an entire outfit. One terrorist can destroy an entire city. If one aspect of a culture is changed/altered it can pierce (taint,damage) the fabric of that culture for the worse.

Before I gave my life to Christ I used to embrace many of the customs of this culture called Hip Hop (man made culture). I have been on both sides of the fence. I realize now though that I have been engrafted into a Holy culture which was initiated by God and not by man. I realize that what I bring from my previous lifestyle and the cultures associated with that lifestyle can taint the new culture that I have been engrafted into. I don't want to compromise the standard (purity) of this new culture that I have been born into. Many people are struggling (torn) between two cultures. The culture of Holiness is not a culture which needs aspects of other cultures in order to become more effective(relevant). To imply that a culture which God implemented is incomplete/ineffective and needs to be improved is a slap in the face of God. Are you at a crossroads in your life in regards to choosing which culture to be associated with? Seek God and allow him to guide you. I pray that you have the faith to be engrafted into this culture of TRUTH and HOLINESS which was initiated by a perfect and holy God.

No comments: