Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trying to build a relationship on a fractured foundation

Build: To make something by combining materials or parts. To increase or strengthen by adding gradually to. Assemble, compose, form, frame, make, or construct. As I came up with this topic I was thinking about the relationship between me and my father. From the beginning of my childhood, life's circumstances has caused the foundation of relationship with me and my father to be fractured (damaged). As I sit here I find myself thinking how can someone repair a foundation once something has already been established on that foundation? When a skyscraper has been built can you just repair (reconstruct) the foundation without affecting the building? There are relationships in our life that if we could start over again we would change the foundation. There are critical ingredients that go into building a solid foundation in order to sustain what is built on top of that foundation. Quality time is one of these critical ingredients. A recipe (i.e. relationship) can have all of the right ingredients but if the timing is off then this can change the quality of that recipe. The recipe of relationship must be mixed with the ingredient of quality time in order to remain stable. I understand that once certain recipes have been made you can not go back and take out what has already been mixed. Can you extract sugar out of a glass of tea once it has already been mixed (intermingled) into the tea? Can you extract tea out of a glass of water once the tea from the bag has already mixed (infused, saturated) into the water? There are certain things that once they are mixed become part of the molecular structure of the substance that it was mixed with. As I end , I would admonish(urge) you to concentrate your mind and your heart on God because he can uproot any foundation and repair that which has been damaged. I am a witness of how the hands of God repaired the foundation of my life that was damaged by a polluted heart and mind. If God can repair a broken life and destiny than he can repair a broken relationship.

No comments: